Saturday, September 23, 2006

Brian's Briefs (not his underpants)

Cell:

I got a cell phone earlier this week. I had the choice between the standard phone that had English on it, or I could go for the cool phone, but no English. I was with Masa so he suggested the cooler phone and hopefully I’d get better at Japanese.

This phone is amazing, it can do a million things and everyday I learn something new. I can’t read the manual, and I was having trouble navigating through the menus, but it’s starting to come together. I can email from it, and receive email too, even from a regular email account (ie, Middlebury.edu or gmail). I friend showed me today that if you point the camera at a sign, it can READ THE KANJI and give an English definition. That’s probably the coolest thing ever. I feel invincible now. Also, all phones have an infra-red beam that you shoot to give someone all your contact info (name, number, and email) and it takes about 5 seconds. This is so unfathomably convenient that I can’t believe America doesn’t have this technology. And even if they start making phones with this feature in the US, only a few people would have it, unlike Japan where everyone can trade info like BAM!

Bank:

I opened a bank account, which was exciting. I did it all by myself, which led to a very interesting interaction with the bank teller. Not only could I not understand anything she was saying (more honorific language) but I had some complicated questions that I could ask (regarding ATM cards, wire transfers, and transaction fees) but I couldn’t understand her replies. So after a few minutes, she got this other woman, who I thought could speak English, but no—This second woman treated me like a 4 year old, speaking Japanese like, “when you CALL the bank” (and she’s hold up her hands like a phone) “you can PUT money into the account” and she’d pantomime putting money in a bag. It was kinda like charades—I was always guessing what she was acting out. It all worked out though, so now I can pay my bills automatically, I think. Also at the very end, they bowed to me so I bowed back, so they bowed again, so I bowed back, not wanting to be rude. Well they bowed again, so I just backed away slowly.

There are no fat people in Japan. I’ve been here about three weeks, and I’ve see 6 overweight people. Everyone is thin. . .except Sumos.

Street:

When I walk on the street I have to remind myself to keep to the left ‘cause this is a backward-ass island country like Australia and England. They drive on the left, so we walk on the left. It’s so weird to pass someone and I naturally go to the right but we usually end up blocking each other, then we do the awkward sidestep at the same time to the same side, then we both stop, then finally I just walk past them. Screw it, I’ve spent 20 years learning to walk on the right side of the road, I’m not changing now. “Out of the way, big American coming through!”

Classes:

Saturday classes. I’m so sad. Morning classes to, which means I have my normal commute at 7:30 for my 9am class. The first thing they told us about class is that we have to arrive 15 minutes early. Oh well. Also, there is one other American in my section of class (about 20 people) everyone else is from Europe or Asia. I think there are 4 Germans, who speak Japanese with a German accent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home