Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Company Trip I

The company trip started off easily enough—alarm went off 7am on Sunday morning. I checked my email and saw that Peter, my boss had emailed me the following “Call me ASAP”. Not having Peter’s number, I contacted the other interns who got in touch with him. We had to decide if going on our trip was worth it because at the time, Tokyo was getting blasted by a Typhoon that had actually killed people (3) in southern Japan. Now I like white water rafting as much as the next guy, but rafting in a typhoon might just be a little too “extreme” for me. Anyway because we weren’t going to do the actual rafting until Monday (Monday was a holiday in Japan, once again it was “Kanji-I-can’t-read Day”) if it cleared up by then, we could have flowing, full rivers.

We made the call at 8am to go ahead with the trip. Lots of train rides later (about 2.5 hours) we met as a group (I was with about 3 people from the trip but we all met up later, a few hours out of Tokyo). We left the train station and headed to the most amazing place on earth: an all you can eat Korean BBQ, sushi, curry, friend chicken buffet. To top it all off, the restaurant was shaped like a castle. There were 13 total people on the trip, 7 of them were guy who were my age. We destroyed this place. I actually knew how to pace myself because Middlebury has the meal plan, but the other 6 guys were absolutely disgustingly full. Our boss was laughing the whole time.

Lost in all the commotion and excitement of mounds and mounds of food, was that it was pretty low quality. I didn’t care, but some of the kids got pretty sick later that night, and they blamed it on the meat. I was fine, though, and was very proud of the quantity of food I stuff away.

We rolled ourselves back to the station and took another hour long train ride to get to our actual destination. I’m gonna continue this story later, I’m going to bed. Sorry to keep you hanging, but think of it as two posts instead of waiting for one long one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home